What Can I Do if My Ex Won’t Pay Child Support?

Photo of a woman in a pink turtleneck sitting on the floor next to brown dog, looking at bills.

Child support is a crucial financial responsibility that a parent must fulfill for the well-being of their child. However, not all parents follow through with their obligations, leading to significant problems for the child and other parent. If your ex-partner refuses to pay child support, it’s understandable to feel stressed and overwhelmed. Here are five things you should know from a family law attorney.

1. Communicate with your ex-partner.

The first step is to try and communicate with your ex-partner to sort out the child support payments peacefully. Try to understand their perspective and see if a change in their circumstances prevents them from making payments. If that doesn’t work, maintain a record of your communication, including emails, messages, and voicemails.

2. Find out the state’s child support enforcement agency.

Each state has a child support enforcement agency that can provide assistance in enforcing child support orders. They can help you with legal representation, locating your ex-partner, and garnishing their wages for child support payments. Reach out to your state’s agency and provide them with all the relevant information to assist with enforcement.

3. Seek the help of a family law attorney.

It’s always best to seek professional legal assistance when dealing with child support issues. A family law attorney can assist you with enforcement, modifying the child support order, and communicating with your ex-partner’s lawyer. Additionally, they can represent you in court if the issue is not resolved amicably.

4. File a motion for contempt.

If your ex-partner continuously refuses to pay child support, you can file a motion for contempt in court. Such a motion can prompt the court to enforce the child support order and penalize your ex-partner for failure to pay. This can include wage garnishment, suspension of their driver’s license, or even jail time in extreme cases.

5. Take care of your child’s needs.

While dealing with child support issues, remember that your child’s needs should always come first. Prioritize their needs, including healthcare, education, clothing, and food. Do not involve your child in the issue; let them enjoy their childhood without any distractions.

Child Support Attorneys in San Jose

Dealing with a non-paying ex-partner can be a daunting task, but it’s essential to approach the issue with a level head and professional guidance. Communicate with your ex-partner, seek the help of a family law attorney, and be persistent in pursuing child support payments. Remember that your child’s well-being always comes first, and do whatever it takes to ensure that they receive everything they need to thrive.

If you need assistance in dealing with child support enforcement, the team at Moreno Family Law Firm is ready to help you. Contact us online or give us a call at (408) 676-1814 to get started.